Saturday, May 21, 2011

I'm Doing it Again

Couponing that is...

I started off about ohh a couple of years ago with this little book...


Now, I must say there is nothing wrong with this book, but it isn't for me. I am super organized. I love for everything to have its place and be in it! This book had cardboard pages with categories and you tucked all of your coupons in.

I found this hard to use. The coupons fall out or sink down in there. You can't see them. You had to make sure to plan ahead to go to the store or you would be there forever digging out coupons you might have.

I saved a little, but I spent a lot. I would buy things because I had a coupon. When I got over that I found that most of the coupons in the paper brought down the cost of the name brand item, but it still wasn't cheaper than the store brand. I found myself paying for papers and not using any coupons.

That is when it ended.

Yesterday is when it began again. I have heard more and more people talking about it and I have to get back in. With a baby on the way saving money sounds even better than ever.

I went in search of something super organized. A method I can work with. Here is what I came up with...


It is a lot larger, yes, but I can see EVERYTHING! There are 36 organizational categories and behind each is a couple of pages of baseball card holders so each coupon has its own pocket! Brilliant! I can see everything!

I watched some videos and did some research. What I found is that yes, if you use coupons like I was they are not useful. You have to find out when items are on sale and use your coupon then to get them even lower.

I also learned something that I think will challenge me to the core. Instead of panning meals and buying around those, you buy and then plan around what you bought! That gets the most use out of your coupons. You have to stock pile.

Craig loves the idea of stocking up. He has wanted to do it for a while now so that we have food on hand in the case of a disaster. I can see with these tornadoes how this would not only help us, but we would be able to donate so much more if we have a pile ready.

You also have to shop often. We like to shop once every few weeks and buy everything in a few trips. I have learned you have to shop often to get the deals. No impulse buying though. Sticking to your list and your coupons.

I have yet to see if this system will work for me, but I am going to give it a try. I have only spent a little paper and ink to print the coupons and dividers, $10 on baseball card pages, and $4 on page protectors. Low investment if I can make it work.

I am excited for Sunday. Ready to get a paper and get to work. I have a lot to learn, but here's to one foot in the door!

No comments:

Post a Comment