Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Budget

Craig and I have been BAD about staying on budget lately. Really BAD! I am ashamed to say what we spent last month. I don't think I have even told him. Oh dear!

We have had a budget for years. We do better some months and worse others. The budget has changed over the years, but it has remained. We are really focused on getting a handle on things before Peyton gets here.

So, it's the beginning of a new month and we have this novel idea that this month we are going to make it our goal to stay within the lines. Now, looking today this is going to be VERY difficult to do this month. We have a truck oil change needed, the car AC is being fixed today, our termite renewal is due, and we are taking a trip to Shreveport ohhh and it is our anniversary and father's day month. Joy! Add those together with the fact that I am a new couponer :) and we are already in trouble!

Needless to say IF we can do it this will be a major accomplishment! It may even make me excited to see if we can do it.

Goal in place. Now how to get there...

I talked to Craig last night and I am going to keep a running "balance" written in a visible place so that he always knows how much we have left in our budget.

I read an article today about a woman who went 10 consecutive days without spending a dime. I don't think with my new couponing strategy that will work, but I am going to implement that in my own way. I want to have 10-15 days throughout the month where we don't spend anything. When we have one we will mark it on the calendar.

Just do it. We will just have to say NO. We are BAD about going out to eat just because everyone else is. We will have to learn to say no. We have plenty of food at home. We usually even have a meal planned. How bad of us.

If all else fails I have told Craig we will be going back to the envelope system. We used this when we first started and then I found Discover. I LOVE Discover. I don't want to revert because I like making money just for spending money. I don't have to do anything out of the ordinary and Discover pays me. We have NEVER payed them a dime in interest and have made 100s. I want to make it work without having to go to envelopes and cash, but we will do what we have to do. UGH!

I plan to keep myself accountable on here. So here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment